Chapters. 1-15 Deadline 0n 6 December
You have now begun reading novel number two on the B-course Big Mouth&Ugly Girl. I hope you have taken the opportunity to listen to the author Joyce Carol Oates on your learning platform. I found a You Tube clip where she talks about how to create different characters which I found interesting.
Big Mouth&Ugly Girl is Oates's first young adult novel, published in 2002.
Analysis questions to be answered:
1)Describe the main character Matt Donaghy and what we know about him so far. What was Matt accused of having done? Was there any truth in the rumors? What did Matt himself think he was guilty of?
2) What is the difference between Ursula Riggs and Ugly Girl? Search and collect key words and expressions for each side of the same person in the chapters.
3) Describe Ursula's family picture.
4) How did Ursula react to the rumors about Matt?
5) Discuss the new information which is presented about Matt's personality in chapter five.
6) Why does the Principal Harold Parrish deny troubles at Rocky River High?
7) How did the school react to the accusations concerning Matt?
8) Describe how Matt's friends reacted?
9) Who claims: Matthew is the one who's been wronged"? What is meant by this?
10) What is so unfortunate with Matt's sophomoric sketch and the Edgar Allen Poe story in this whole new situation?
11) For Matt is seems to be important to impress people and to make them laugh. Mention a few situations where this is shown. How could this be related to the incident in the cafeteria which started this whole mess?
12) Ugly Girl: "You might be liable for suspending Matt Donaghy without probable cause and defaming his character" What is meant by this ?
13) "Suburban hysteria" - Please explain this sentence in the book.
14) Matt signed an e-mail to Mr Weinberg with Matt "Terrorist" Donaghy. Why? Consequences?
15) What is your viewpoint on the narrative technique of the novel? In every second chapter we either get some insight into the plot told by Matt or Ursula? Good or confusing, please explain?