For this week you are to read a text in Blueprint B called The Seeds of Evil by Michael Medved. The topic is violent videos and TV programmes and how they are changing children's childhood. Hollywood's impact on society can sometimes be devastating! Deadline December 16.
Read the article pp. 73-75 carefully and answer the questions p. 76:
Read and React:
1) One teacher notices a major difference when it comes to stories her students choose to tell. What is the difference from before?
2) Mr Medved, the author of the article argues, "tens of millions of people watch brutal entertainment" without ever doing the same thing in real life. But a few do. How does he support his argument?
3) The article admits, restricted access to firearms and new efforts to tackle violent videos will not change society overnight. Is it still worth implementing? If so why? What is your reaction?
Refelct and Share:
1) What is the thesis statement in the article, the main point Mr Medved is trying to make? Try writing it out in one simple sentence.
2) Considering the pros and cons in this article, where do you stand in this debate? Do you know of more arguments that might shed light on the question of entertainment and its undesired effects on children - or on any of us?